There are many benefits of BASES endorsement including the following information for students:
Benefits of BASES endorsement
For students, the BASES undergraduate endorsement scheme (BUES) provides a reliable list of meticulously tested courses and ensures that students' investments are rewarded with a high standard of education:
- Studying the three disciplinary areas – Biomechanics, Physiology and Psychology
- Exposure to the interdisciplinary study of sport and exercise science
- Development of skills in experimental design, data analysis and other aspects of research methods
- A major piece of independent study in the form of a research project or similar in the field of sport and exercise science.
- Develop practical/laboratory experience, across Biomechanics, Physiology and Psychology
- Taught by staff with current professional experience - the programme team must comprise at least two BASES accredited sport and exercise scientists.
Individuals who have a BUES endorsed undergraduate degree and who complete a relevant postgraduate degree will be considered as having the required level of underpinning technical knowledge and understanding for BASES accreditation. BASES accreditation is awarded to those practitioners who are deemed by the Association to have the minimum knowledge, skills and understanding necessary to be safe and fit to practice as a sport and exercise scientist.
Applications to join Supervised Experience (the training route, and most common route to BASES accreditation) or apply directly for BASES accreditation are simplified for those who have completed an endorsed course as the content has already been approved as meeting the standards required.
Employers looking to acquire the best sport and exercise scientists know that graduates of BASES endorsed programmes have received an appropriate curriculum, resources and opportunities that undergraduate courses offer for training sport and exercise scientists.
Endorsement gives university departments credibility and status evidence. The course will be endorsed by the widely recognised leading UK professional body in sport and exercise sciences, which has obvious marketing benefits. More importantly, graduating students will be better evidence prepared to enter into related professions. BUES will also be an invaluable resource, in addition to QAA subject benchmark statements, for departments who are validating, revalidating or reviewing sport and exercise science related courses.
At Buckinghamshire New University, we are delighted that our BSc Sport and Exercise Science course is now endorsed by BASES, the leading professional sports governing body in the UK. We anticipate that our students will be also privileged to graduate with a BASES endorsed degree and that they will take advantage of the routes available to them.